Monday, July 23, 2012

A London Invasion

Last night and today, I've almost felt I'm in a different city.  I hate to be pretentious and say that this isn't my London, but it really does seem like London has changed completely over the weekend.

Up until this point, if someone asked me, "Are you seeing all the preparations for the Olympics?", my response would have been, "No, actually, except for the posters everywhere warning about increased traffic, you'd have no idea the games were happening."  But oh, it's a different story now.  They put short info spots down on the sidewalk next to our flats, they've replaced some artistic telephone boxes with artistic Wenlocks (one-eyed Olympic mascot, with his Paralympic buddy, Mandeville), and the crowds have tripled at least.  We took a stroll past Trafalgar Square, where the huge screens are being set up for games viewing, down past the Houses of Parliment to the London Eye (for a spin around the Eye!), then up to a park close to Buckingham Palace.  So yeah - we saw ALL the newly-arrived tourists.

I'm really excited to watch the games from home, and I'm sure they'll make me miss London like crazy.  But I also hate crowds and tourist environments, so I'm actually surprisingly willing to get out of town while I can.  It makes leaving a little bit easier.  Just a little.

As a wrap-up to my trip so far, here's a look at all the panoramic pictures I've taken.  It's very easy with my camera, and I just love them.  I'll continue blogging when I'm home - we have a few more assignments before our class is officially done - and there's so much more that I haven't talked about.  So stay tuned!

London Skyline - taken from the London Eye

Atlantic Ocean - taken from a beach near Tully Cross, Ireland

Kylemore Lough - taken from Kylemore Abbey grounds

London Skyline - taken from the golden gallery on top of St. Paul's Cathedral

Olympic Park - taken from the closest train station

Regent's Park - taken in... Regent's Park

The Royal Crescent - taken in Bath, England

Paris Skyline - taken from the top of the Arc de Triomphe (the real thing curves a lot more!)

Paris Skyline - taken from the front of Sacre Coeur

No comments:

Post a Comment