Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Our Funny Flat

Tonight, I'm part of a scene which will become very familiar.  My three flatmates and I have our computers stationed at different points in our living room (actually quite large), working on our pictures, videos, and blogs for the course that brings us to London.  It's actually quite comforting; studying/working is pretty much the same wherever you go.

Our flat is actually quite posh, considering the building is from the 17th/18th century.  The FSU Study Centre is number 99, but we actually live in number 101.  We're on the left, 99 is on the right (with some of my lovely classmates):


We actually have a flat screen TV, two couches, and a very nice dining table.  Our kitchen is a sight lovely to my eyes: fitted with new appliances (including 2 fridges) and sparkling clean.  We've got this great big flat to split between 4 of us - plenty of room.

The bathrooms... are a slightly different matter.  The shower alone baffles the mind (especially at 7am when one is less than decent), and the doors have this funny habit of closing very loudly on their own.  Did I mention that we climb 3 flights of stairs to get to our little home?  Including this staircase, which I am quite convinced will collapse while I'm on it one day.


Yes, it really does slant like that.  But I exaggerate - it's very safe.

Even in just two days, I am absolutely certain that I will enjoy getting to know all of the other women doing this program.  There has been a great deal of nerdy talk, talk of great beer, and loud laughter.  We probably seem obnoxious to the Londoners, actually - but one of the great things about the American spirit is the freedom to enjoy life and experiences with gusto.  Yup, we laugh loud and talk loud and gesture wildly, but by George, we're having a good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment