Saturday, July 7, 2012

A Look Back at Dublin

I never got to post my pictures or stories from Dublin, so today it's time for a rewind.

I stayed overnight at Trinity College, which would have been great if they hadn't put me literally as far from the center of campus as possible.  I was actually across the street from the rest of campus.  I was already feeling tired and lonely, so this wasn't exactly the best time to be isolated.  Upon returning from an evening mass on Sunday, I promptly went to bed with what I think was a baby migraine.

(The irony of going to bed at 8:30pm while staying in a major European city is not beyond me.)

First order of business for Monday morning: the Book of Kells, right at Trinity College itself.
The line (excuse me, the queue) at 9:30am, when the exhibit opens - already super long!

Like most museums, no pictures allowed.  But oh. my. heavens. the Book of Kells was just astounding.  The Book is a collection of the four Christian gospels in manuscript form, many of which contain very detailed illuminations.  Illuminated manuscripts were made to glorify the Word of God on the page.  The Book of Kells is known especially for highly detailed designs - it seems almost impossible that a human hand could design, draw, and paint to that level of precision.  The illuminations are gorgeous and fascinating, and if you click here, you can see several images from the Book.  I could have stayed there for hours looking at the manuscripts themselves, or even at images of the illuminations.

Above the exhibit and Books themselves is the Long Room, which is easily the largest collection of valuable books in Ireland.  The Old Library also has the legal right to own a copy of every book published in the  British Isles.  I don't think I can explain how emotional I got when I walked in there.  I recorded a little bit of a sound-seeing tour while there, because, of course, no pictures allowed.  Except..........




Shhhhh, don't tell.  But seriously, this doesn't do it justice.  Go look up pictures on Google and be amazed.



Clearly, my time in Dublin was much improved from the previous night.  After reaching cloud nine at the library, I left Trinity College and began my wandering.

I came first to Dublin Castle, which is, wouldn't you know it, an old building.  The grounds had an interesting Celtic design cut into the green (you can sort of see it behind me and Wishbone).  But for a librarian, the hidden gem at the Dublin Castle is the Chester Beatty Library.  Oh my word - again, it's difficult to explain how amazed and enthralled I was.  This isn't just a library - it's an incredible museum of the history of the book and print culture (this is a legitimate area of study for librarians, by the way).  The library had papyrus manuscripts on display from the gospels and Paul dating back to the 2nd century!  Those aren't just anywhere!  There were MORE illuminated manuscripts here, beautifully carved Koran covers, Japanese block prints, displays of book-making techniques and tools, and SO MUCH MORE.  There was also a small temporary exhibit on a restored Japanese scroll story, The Story of the Bamboo Cutter.  Incredibly fascinating, especially for someone who has a love of both Japanese culture and books in any format.  And I really did stumble onto this place by mistake.  I am so, so grateful for that happy accident.  This book lover was flying high, let me tell you.
The Chester Beatty Library - an absolute must-see in Dublin!

By the way, Chester Beatty himself is a truly interesting fellow.  What a life he had!

I made my way over to St. Stephen's Green, and ducked into the mall on the other side of the street to use the restroom and find some food.  I saw this sign as I walked in...
(This font is everywhere, and I LOVE IT.)

Musical Youth Foundation presents Instrumental Art Exhibit?  Yes please!  Time for some awesome pictures.
Meat guitar!

"Song from the Woods" by Giovana Medeiros

"Music as Medicine" by James Carroll

See the word "Sound" in the middle?

"Almond Train" by Sean Regan

"Another Steel" by Rob O'Brien... those are staples, btw.

"Musical Youth" by Stephnie James - my favorite, only 175 Euros. :-)

So yeah.  It's like the universe knew exactly what makes me happier than all get out and laid it all before me in a single day.  Happier than a pig in a poke was I (insert any other idiom for being extremely happy and content).  I stayed at the mall long enough to eat, use the internet for 20 free minutes, and pick up a few souvenirs, then I was off to walk St. Stephen's Green and pray my rosary.  I also recorded a few thoughts about cultural differences between the states and Ireland:


(Sorry, it's an odd thumbnail)

And to top off a truly fantastic day, I pretty much tripped over the tucked away little church, St. Therese, which I mentioned in an earlier post, and I was in time for daily mass!

I left Ireland on the best possible note, though after such a great day, I almost didn't want to go!  There was so much that I didn't see in Dublin - and oddly enough, I didn't revisit any place we'd visited on our family trip 10 years ago (I think).

But of course, equally amazing things were waiting for me in London, and better yet, amazing people.  Even the best day has to end so the adventure can continue - I can't wait to see what tomorrow holds!

5 comments:

  1. Great self portrait -- I'm particularly a fan of the castle-structure and modern building in the background!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it's supposed to be Mumford and Sons, but apparently, I mumbled. http://www.mumfordandsons.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the shout out on my guitar! I'm delighted you liked it so much. Stephnie James
    http://stephniejames.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete