Thursday, July 19, 2012

The Beauty of Yes

One of those great life lessons that I've heard is that the key to a happy life is to say 'yes'.  Some people - those who want most to please people - benefit more from knowing that they can say 'no' to requests.  This helps them not overstretch themselves.

I'm not gifted with the natural inclination to please people.  It's just a temperament thing; I have other good, natural inclinations.  I know my limits in taking on responsibilities well enough, but I also tend to play my life pretty safely.  I normally stick to what I can control.

Needless to say, this London trip has been a big step for me.  I don't think there's any better experience of not being in control of things than when you travel.  Now, I haven't really kept this roll-with-the-punches mindset my whole time: as I learn more about London, I'm more in control.  And I'll be back in control when I return home.  Preparing for a weekend in Paris, however, I notice this anxiety of the uncontrollable creeping in again.

This picture is from an art piece at the British Library - a whole wall of YES.  It was a good reminder today that saying yes and going with the flow... well, it makes your whole experience so much better.  It's an openness to life.

Heck - sign me up for that!

I'll be leaving my laptop in London this weekend, so the soonest I can post is Sunday evening.  I look forward to sharing my Paris adventures with you, and returning home shortly after (next Tuesday! whoa!).  Talk to you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment