Monday, July 16, 2012

Second Star on the Right and Straight on 'Til Morning

Neverland.  It was everywhere today.

 The Princess Diana Memorial Playground is directly modeled on Peter Pan and Neverland - there's a pirate ship, teepees (we did our best to be politically correct while playing in them), and so very, very many things to play with or on.  We could only be in the playground for 30 minutes before it opened to parents with children.  They literally don't allow you in if you don't have children.  But we sure did have fun for those 30 minutes!

 Further on in Hyde Park (check out the map/photo on Wikipedia - the park is HUGE) is a statue commemorating the character of Peter Pan.  J. M. Barrie lived just across the street from Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens (which are inside the park) and would come often to write Peter Pan.  We saw his house, which is commemorated by the now-familiar blue plaque of distinction.



There's been a good deal of talk today in our group about growing up, i.e. declarations that we won't ever do it.  But I don't think I've ever been moved to say this.  Saying that you won't grow up (or didn't) means that you see a clear separation between childhood and adulthood.  I don't see this separation, perhaps because I grew up in a ridiculously creative household.  We were a community theater family, and I saw my parents and older sisters sewing costumes, making sets, climbing the rafters to hang lights, crawling beneath the stage to hook up equipment.  I mean, my mom and dad were in a performance of The Pirates of Penzance, with my dad as a pirate and my mom as a police officer.  I was raised by terrific parents who dressed up and played (why do you think they're called plays?) all the time.  So no, I don't think adulthood means putting aside the fun, imagination, and creativity of childhood.  I'm proud to grow up, because that means I get to play in a whole new way.

Thanks mom and dad - you're the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment