Wednesday, July 25, 2012

How to Share

I've been home for a little less than 24 hours now.  I had very little ambition about this day, so I ended up watching all of Downton Abbey, season 1, and working on my cross-stitch.  I didn't want to tackle the heat today - 100 degrees is daunting when one is used to 60s and 70s - and I also had no idea when the jet-lag would kick in.

Finally rousing myself around 4:30pm to take a shower, I started thinking about integrating back into everyday life.  What struck me was that I now had this thing, this great big experience, in which no one around me took part.  I think a very large part of friendship is shared experience, which is why I know I'll always have a bond with those 11 other women - we shared London together.  But how can I share my time in London with everyone back home?

I see a choice in front of me.  I can either let this study-abroad experience alienate me from my friends - "No one knows the things I've seen!" - or slowly and deliberately try to share it with them.  Anybody who asks me, "How was London?" is simply asking the wrong question (and I may tell them as much).  Since I'm not a Vulcan, I can't just mind-meld with you.  I have to accept that there's no way to communicate an entire memory.  What I do have are stories.


This is obviously a reason for keeping a blog when you travel.  But there's oh so much I haven't written about here.  Since I'm not a particularly good storyteller, I think I'm going to force myself to get to a library or coffee shop (or maybe one of the local tea shops, just for some good tea!) and write stories of our travels.  Nothing fancy, just a more intentional time to write and organize my thoughts and memories.

I daresay that I have begun a love affair with England that I'll be pursuing my entire life.  I must stop myself from dramatically declaring that I'll spend my whole life trying to get back there, because I know there are many other things in life that I will pursue.  But England - it's almost unfair how you've stolen my heart.


No comments:

Post a Comment